The IO500 benchmark has been developed together with the community and its development is still ongoing. The benchmark is essentially a benchmark suite bundled with execution rules. It harnesses existing and trusted open source benchmarks.
The goal for the benchmark is to capture user-experienced performance. It aims to be:
The benchmark covers various workloads and computes a single score for comparison. The workloads are:
- IOEasy: Applications with well optimized I/O patterns
- IOHard: Applications that require a random workload
- MDEasy: Metadata/small objects
- MDHard: Small files (3901 bytes) in a shared directory
- Find: Finding relevant objects based on patterns
The individual performance numbers are preserved and accessible via the web or the raw data. This allows deriving other relevant metrics.
We are in the process to establish a procedure to extend the current workload with further meaningful metrics.
- White paper: Establishing the IO-500 Benchmark
- Poster: The Virtual Institute for I/O and the IO-500
- See also various presentations on our news page.
Using the IO500 Logo
We welcome the promotion of the IO500 using the logo.
IO500 Logo License Terms
The IO500 logo is copyrighted us but may be used under the following conditions:
The logo is used for its intended purpose to promote the IO500. You may use it:
- together with results obtained by using the IO500 with statements that you are using the benchmark
- together with opinions about the benchmark
- The appearance of the logo shall not be modified. You may change the file format and resolution.
- The logo must be placed onto a white or gray background.
If you are in doubt, contact the steering board.Download the Logo